Instructions prior to your surgery (pre-operative):
- You will need to stop any aspirin, ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Naprosyn, vitamin E, and products containing fish oil five (5) days prior to your scheduled surgery.
- Please check with your surgeon as to when to stop any blood thinning medications such as Coumadin, Xarelto, Plavix, Effient, or any other blood thinners. Also check with your surgeon if you are taking any anti-rheumatic medications, as you may need to stop those medications prior to your surgery.
- You will be contacted the day before your surgery with your arrival time for surgery.
- Please do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery.
- One of the anesthesia providers will contact you the day before your surgery to discuss the anesthetic portion of your surgery. They will advise you on which of your regular medications you may take the morning of surgery.
- You will need someone to drive you to and from your surgery.
- Please bring any medical equipment with you to the surgery. If you are having surgery for your lower extremities, you will need crutches or a walker. If you are having surgery on an upper extremity, you may need to bring a sling.
- If you get sick prior to your surgical date (cold, flu, fever, chills, sweats, diarrhea, vomiting, or a rash) please contact your surgeon as soon as possible as we may need to postpone your surgery.
Instructions after your surgery (post-operative):
- If instructed, apply ice to the wound for 20 minutes every two hours for the first 48 hours during the day. If you awake at night, you may apply ice. After the first 48 hours, apply ice 2–3 times per day for 20 minutes each time.
- Keep the operative site elevated frequently. You must elevate the extremity above the level of your heart.
- You will be given additional activity restrictions following your surgery.
- Keep your dressing clean.
- Do not get your dressing wet. Cover your dressing with a plastic bag when bathing.
- If you are allowed to remove your dressing, you will be instructed on which day to remove your dressing.
- If Steri-Strips are covering your incision, please leave the Steri-Strips intact.
- After changing your dressing, apply clean bandages to your wounds. Re-apply your ACE wrap if swelling is present.
- If you are attending physical therapy, the therapist may do your first dressing change.
- Please keep your splint clean and dry (do not get wet). Cover your splint with a plastic bag when bathing. We have cast and splint protection bags for purchase in the Ortho Store, located in the main lobby of OSMC.
- Do not remove your splint or impair the integrity of your splint.
- Do not stick anything down your splint.
- Visit the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website for more information regarding cast and splint care.
Following surgery, please contact your surgeon if:
- Your pain is not being relieved by the pain medication provided.
- You notice increased swelling of your extremity.
- Your extremity is cold to the touch, blue in color or numb/tingling (not due to a blocked nerve).
- Your temperature is over 100.9 degrees.
- You notice excessive bleeding, increased redness, increased drainage and/or a foul odor from your incision sites.
- You have any other questions or concerns.
If you need a medication refill, please call your pharmacy. Allow 24 hours for the refilling process. Prescriptions and refills will be addressed Monday–Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Scripts cannot be refilled after hours, on weekends, or on holidays.
You can reach us at 785-537-4200 or toll free at 800-793-2141.